Home » Cooking Quality Meats » I need advice on changing my senior dog’s diet, help?

I need advice on changing my senior dog’s diet, help?

I plan to switch my Setter to Innova EVO Reduced Fat for seniors dog. She is not overweight but a couple pounds less would be ideal. She will be 8 in September.

I was feeding her Californa Natural and always suplemened it with 1/4 lean cooked meat and vitamins.

This Evo dog food has 52.0% protein whereas California Natural only has 21% protein. So adding more meat with Evo would not be wise, right? Also should I drop the vitamin supplements? Would she be getting too many vitamins with EVO?

Any ideas what I can mix with the kibble to keep my dog happy and not screw up the nutritional balance of this high quality food?

I would quit giving her the meat (or at least really reduce the amounts) when you switch her to the EVO. I would also drop the vitamin supplement (unless it is a glucosimine/chondroitan supplement).

I would just switch her very slowly (over at least 2 weeks) and give her just small amounts of the meat with the EVO. You can also try soaking the dry EVO with a little bit of hot water or broth (salt free or low sodium) until it becomes mushy.

8 thoughts on “I need advice on changing my senior dog’s diet, help?

1. iluvmyfrenchbulldogs says:

References :
    Vet tech, show and breed French Bulldogs

2. Gr8danelady says:

That sounds like an awfully high protein content. I would also not supplement with vitamins, unless there is a specific need for them.

A friend of mine developed this rating system, which seems to have been copied widely. It will give you an idea of which are the better foods.

How to grade your dog’s food: Start with a grade of 100:

8 ) If the food contains barley, add 2 points
    9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2
    points
    10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point
    11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point
    12) For every different specific animal protein source (other than
    the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein
    source, but "chicken" and "" as 2 different sources), add 1 point
    13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point
    14) If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are
    pesticide-free, add 1 point

Score:
    94-100+ = A, 86-93 = B, 78-85 = C, 70-77 = D, 69 and below = F

Here are some foods that have already been scored.
    Dog Food scores:
    Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F
    Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F
    Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+
    Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A
    References :

3. melissa k says:

This is probably a question that should be directed to your vet, as she should best know your dog’s nutritional requirements.

I have been doing quite a bit of research on dog foods lately, as I wanted to switch my 12 year old terrier’s food. She was on Innova (not EVO) Senior and she didn’t seem to like it very much after the newness wore off. I began feeding her Ultra Holistic adult a week or so ago – so far, so good! Her stools are much better.

From what I have seen, it is very difficult to give a dog too much protein. Despite conventional wisdom, there has been no proof that high protein levels lead to kidney problems. For senior dogs, it seems that the highest protein level you can find in a food that is between eight and 12 percent fat is best.

If you believe she is going to go on a hunger strike if she doesn’t get her cooked meat, continue to give it to her. If you are concerned about doing so, give her a smaller portion. See how her body reacts then decide whether she should continue to get the meat. I would also think you could stick with the vitamins, too, but do some research to determine what is the maximum amount (grams, units, etc.) she should get and how much she’ll get from the food and tablets combined.
    References :

4. top_trend_us says:

RT class=” ” LOVE my new John Lennon pen by class=” ” MB honors JL’s life and music with the class=” ” NO ONE can stop JL from changing the world!

5. Flickr Commons Feed says:

Bay of Pigs files show CIA bombers hit by ‘friendly fire’ –

6. kardeşler internet pazarlama a.ş diye bir şirket yoktur inşallah. 🙂

7. DTNHealth says:

RT class=” ” Sama pak hahaaRT class=” ” Orang puasa, sekalian niat diet biar kurus. Pas lebaran, banyak makanan, (cont)

8. Clems_Biebz says:

RT class=” ” Tout le monde cherche des stagiaires en ce moment, on sent que l’été est terminé et que la main d’oeuvre gratuite se fait plus rare…

Comments are closed.